2 turnip, peeled and roughly chopped
2 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
1 small onion, peeled and quartered
1 leek, roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped1
1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
4 ½ cups vegetable broth
¼ cup sour cream, plus some for garnish
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Place the turnips, parsnips, onion, leek, carrot, celery, and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil, then sprinkle with the cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
3. Roast the vegetables until caramelized, about 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
4. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large saucepan along with the vegetable broth and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add the sour cream. Then, using and immersion or traditional blender, puree the soup until smooth, working in batches. Strain the soup and place in a large saucepan.
6. Season with salt and pepper and heat, as desired.
7. Ladle the soup into 4 bowls, swirl in sour cream, sprinkle with chopped parsley and cracked pepper. Enjoy.