3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup flour
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
1 pound chicken breast, diced
1 onion, diced
1 leek, diced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 turnip, peeled and diced
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
2 tablespoons tomato paste
6 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked white rice
1. Add the ¾ cup vegetable oil and flour to a medium saucepan with a heavy bottom. Stir together to form a roux and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until it changes to the color of peanut butter, about 20 minutes. Watch it carefully, as it can burn.
2. While the roux is cooking, place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil followed by the andouille sausage. Cooked until browned, then transfer to a large plate.
3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Increase the heat on the large saucepan to medium-high. Add the chicken and cook until browned. Transfer to the plate with the sausage.
4. Add the onion, leek, carrot, turnip, parsnip, bell pepper, celery, garlic, Cajun seasoning, and tomato paste to the pan the chicken was cooked in. Season the veggies with salt and pepper, then cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until the roux is finished cooking.
5. After the rough is finished cooking, add it to the vegetable mixture. While stirring constantly, slowly pour in the broth. Add the bay leaf and simmer over medium heat until the vegetables are tender.
6. Add the chicken and sausage and cook for 5 minutes more. Ladle into bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve with white rice.