2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons olive oil
2 parsnips, about 1.5 pounds, peeled and chopped
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, cleaned and sliced in 1-inch rounds
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 1 tablespoon dried basil1 bay leaf
3 to 4 cups vegetable broth, or enough to just cover the vegetables – you can also use 2 cans (14.5-ounces each) of vegetable broth
1/2 cup heavy cream or milk
freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large heavy pot and pour in the olive oil.
2. Add the chopped parsnips, potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, basil, and bay leaf.
3. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4.Stir in the vegetable broth.
5. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
6. Discard bay leaf.
7. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a blender and blend until smooth. This should be done in several batches.
8. Return soup to pot and add heavy cream or milk; stir to combine.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Serve warm.